BTEC Level 3 Technical Advanced Diploma
"Studying BTEC Science has helped me grow in confidence and develop a real interest in pursuing it as a career. It has been great learning about all the different aspects of science"
What will I study?
This is a two-year full-time programme of study, consisting of 13 units. 6 of these are covered in the first year and the remaining 7 in the second. There are a total of 7 mandatory (compulsory) units taught along with 6 optional units that range in topics. Some of the units that will be delivered over the 2 years include:
- Science Investigation Skills
- Principles and Applications of Science
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Medical Physical Techniques
- Laboratory Techniques and their Applications
- Investigative Science Project
- Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques
- Forensic Evidence Collection and Analysis
- Electrical Circuits and their Application
What do I need to study this course?
GCSE Science (Grade 9-5) and GCSE Maths (Grade 9-5). This is a nationally recognised progression route from BTEC Level 2 (Merit) Diploma in Applied Science.
How will I be assessed?
This course is assessed through internally set and verified coursework, written examinations and externally assessed assignment tasks. Approximately 60% of the course is assessed through coursework and the remaining 40% through externally assessed written examinations that will assess both scientific knowledge and practical skills. The course is equivalent to three A Levels and is accepted for progression by many UK universities.
Where will a BTEC Technical Advanced Diploma in Applied Science lead me?
Progression from the BTEC Technical Advanced Diploma in Applied Science to Higher Education is high. Students take up degrees in a range of areas including Biomedical Sciences, Forensic Science, Engineering, Bioscience, Nutrition, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Radiography and Nursing.
Colleges Offering Courses
- Christ the King: Aquinas
- Christ the King: Emmanuel
- Christ the King: St Mary's